Husbandry & EnterpriseYou’ll be immersed on the livestock side of Lakeland’s Student Managed Farm when you take animal science technology.
Your hands-on training in animal husbandry and livestock enterprise management will blend with knowledge you’ll acquire about food industry regulations and environmental issues. End result: you’ll be an integral part of maintaining health and safety for both livestock and humans.
Your live-the-learning experience includes learning:
- Practical skills to manage feeding and health of livestock
- Proper and safe handling of beef and dairy cattle, swine and sheep
- How to artificially inseminate cattle and assist with calving and lambing.
- Additional theory about maintaining business records of an agricultural operation.
- How to assess key economic principles to market and develop business plans
- How to create an environmental farm plan for your family operation.
Most importantly, you get to choose production courses of most interest or value to you. Your choices are dairy, cow-calf, feedlot, sheep or swine.