Water Conservation & Management – Diploma – Vermilion Campus

Eligible for ECO Canada Certification View More ∇
ECO Canada Certification eco Canada logo
Lakeland College's Environmental Sciences diploma is nationally accredited through the Environmental Careers Organization of Canada (ECO Canada). Upon registration, each of our graduates is  recognized as an Environmental Professional in training (EPt) by the Canadian Environmental Certification Approvals Board (CECAB) of ECO Canada. Because our program is one of a select group of accredited programs, graduates can apply for full EP designation after just four years of relevant Canadian environmental experience.  
What other certifications are part of the program? View More ∇
Upon successful completion of your diploma, you will hold the following valuable safety and training certificates:
  • H2S Alive®
  • Ground Disturbance Level II
  • Standard First Aid and CPR 'C' with AED and O2 training
  • Spill Responder Certificate
  • Pleasure Craft Boat Operation card
  • ATV operator certification
How will I network with industry? View More ∇
You will interact with professionals in government and environmental and resource development industries through:
  • Annual Cypress Hills Field Camp
  • Alberta Lake Management Society Annual Workshop
  • Trips to various industrial field sites
  • Industry guest speakers
  • EMP lunch and learn activities. You'll network with environmental professionals and learn about the latest field technologies and methods.
What supplies/equipment do I need? View More ∇
During your two years at Lakeland College many of your classes in the Water Conservation & Management major will involve work in the field and in the classroom.

For example, Ecology and Botany labs are held in the field, beginning the first week of classes. Be prepared to begin classes and labs starting on Wednesday (the day after registration/orientation). Outdoor field labs typically run regardless of weather, so please bring appropriate clothing and footwear when you come.

First Year:
Indoor and outdoor labs, such as chemistry, soils, and field botany labs will require the following equipment (available for purchase in the bookstore, or at local stores):
  • lab coat (book store)
  • safety eye wear (book store)
  • small garden pruning shears (bring from home if you like).
  • plant press (available for loan)
Field labs run regardless of weather. To ensure you are warm, dry, and comfortable for outdoor activities, you are required to bring the following list of personal gear to use as needed:
  • warm jacket and outerwear
  • rain jacket and pants
  • hiking boots and rubber boots
  • warm gloves and hat
  • insect repellent and sunscreen
  • high-top winter boots with a warm felt liner (e.g. Sorrel’s)
Student activities involve the study of the environment during field labs and field trips. The following equipment is useful, but optional:
  • camera,  pocket field lens (available at book store)

Second Year:
In your second year, field trips to industrial sites will require the following personal protective equipment (PPE):
  • hard hat
  • field safety glasses (side protection)
  • flame-retardant coveralls
  • steel-toed (safety-rated) footwear

Environmental Sciences has limited numbers of hard hats, field safety glasses and approved coveralls for field trips, and these may not always be available in a full range of sizes. Therefore, if you already have your own safety equipment please bring it, or consider purchasing your own as this PPE is required for most employment situations anyway. Lakeland does not provide safety boots. You are required to purchase these before your second year for industrial site visits. As a suggestion, steel-toed rubber boots, with winter linings work well for wet, cold or muddy sites, while steel-toed hiking boots work well for other weather conditions. A minimum would be to purchase at least one of these two types of footwear for industrial field trips.

View More ∇
Can I drive during field trips? View More ∇
The Environmental Science diploma requires approved drivers of minivans for our local field trips. In order to drive, the college requires a driver’s abstract. Out of province drivers will need to pay for their abstract, but will be reimbursed with a receipt.

If interested contact,

Jason Tuchelt
780 853 8585
View More ∇
View More ∇
View More ∇
View More ∇
View More ∇
View More ∇
View More ∇
View More ∇
View More ∇

Last updated on