Train your dog while you're at college!
Students who are club members can bring a dog to train for herding livestock. Students establish a pecking order between them and their dog. They learn about dog obedience and how to train their dogs on livestock. Beginning with circels(which aid in teaching a stop, back, direction change, and call off) and moving onto out runs and mechanical work such as side commands and drives as dogs and handlers progress. Dogs build confidence by training first on sheep and eventually cattle.
Dogs must be:
Club practices and social events are held throughout the year at the Vermilion campus.
Occasional field trips to competitions or demonstrations are arranged.
Students and staff - come have some fun with your dog in the evening!
Students and staff can join the club and bring their dog to learn handling techniques and teach their dog to maneuver through a wide variety of obstacles. We have jumps, hoops, tunnels, weave poles, tires, chutes, tables and barrels. Dogs of all sizes are welcome. Our main goal is to build confidence in both dog and handler, while geting exercise and having fun!
Dogs must be fully vaccinated and unless they are a stock dog member as well, will live off campus.
• practices are Monday and Thursday evenings
• practices are Sunday and every second Thursday evenings
• Deanna Krys
• Brianne Bellwood
• Kim Eremko
|The club is fortunate to have Sarah Van Yken as a guest trainer to work with the students and their canine friends. Sarah is an alumnus of the Lakeland College Stock Dog Club|
|Registering for a Kennel on Campus|
• kennels are for registered Stock Dog members only
• must register for kennel prior to arriving - there are 16 kennels available
• dog must be 9 months or older
• male dogs must be neutered to live in the campus kennels
• all dogs must have current vaccinations
• one dog per kennel
• members provide their own food
For more details, contact Deanna Krys.
|Registering as a Member|
• pre-registration is required if the member wants a campus kennel
• off-campus students who have an off-campus residence to house their dog may register upon arrival
For details on registration fees and to obtain a registration form, please contact Deanna Krys.
|Stock Dog Clinics|
|Stock Dog offers two stock dog clinics by Elvin Kopp of Westerose, AB. The clinics are generally held in November and February. This is an additional cost for club members, but the clinics are highly recommended.|
|Award for Stock Dog Members|
|• Cassandra Logozar Memorial Award - this award is presented at the Vermilion Awards Night to a Stock Dog member who contributes to the success of the club and is recommended by members of the club|