Campus Life

Health & Dental Plan

Student Health & Dental Plan

Costs of dental and other health services such as prescriptions are high, expensive and show no signs of going down. For students on a fixed income, those costs can be disastrous.

After a student referendum, the SAs on both campuses joined forces to provide Lakeland students with a mandatory benefits plan. The goal was a reasonable priced insurance program to help students maintain health care quality and ensure costs from medical emergencies don't endanger their studies.

If you have any questions about the LCSA Benefits Plan, go to the SA office on your campus or check out

Follow on Twitter @lakelandplan.
Explaining the benefits plan
Why is the plan mandatory?
With a mandatory plan, the insurance risk is spread over a large number of students, the cost per student is lowered, making the fee affordable. Individual health and dental plans can be as much as 5 times more than the current student fee.

Is this plan the same as my provincial health care?
No. The LCSA student benefits plan is an extended health and dental plan. This supplements, not replaces, your provincial health care coverage.

How do I enrol for coverage?
You are automatically enrolled provided you meet the eligibility criteria:
  • you are a member of the SA
  •  you are a full-time student enrolled in a certificate, diploma or degree program
  • you are registered in September, January or March terms
  • you live in Canada
  • you are under age 70

How do I pay the fee?
Fees are assessed automatically at registration if you meet the eligibility criteria.

When does my coverage begin and end?
Eligible students will receive 12 months of coverage staring the first day of the month your program begins.
How to access your coverage--Your LCSA Care Card
You need to have your LCSA Care Card. You can download it from or pick it up at the SA office on your campus during your coverage year.

The care card provides the correct information needed for pay direct transactions at pharmacies and processing electronic claims at dental offices registered with the insurer's direct payment system.

When you get your card, sign it and fill in your student ID number in the space on the card's front.
What if I already have coverage?
Coordination of benefits
Benefits under the two plans can be coordinated to increase your coverage up to a total of 100% of the actual expenses incurred. For example, following payment from this plan, you can submit outstanding balances to the other plan for consideration.

Waiving the student benefits
If you are an eligible student and have comparable health and/or dental coverage, you may apply to waive benefits. Go to to opt out.

Each student is given one opportunity each year to waive benefits for health and/or dental plans. All waiver forms must be completed through your SA office and be received by the deadline for that semester. There will be no exceptions for students who fail to submit their completed waiver form by the applicable deadline.

When waivers are approved, you will receive a refund cheque. Once your waiver has been accepted it will remain in force as long as you are an eligible student. 

If comparable coverage used to waive the student plan ends, you have 30 days from the loss of that coverage to notify the SA office to be covered by the LCSA Benefits Plan. Confirmation of loss of coverage is also required on reapplication for coverage.

The same applies if family coverage is lost.
Can I add my family to the plan?
Each year you are given one opportunity to purchase family coverage for your spouse* and/or dependents** by completing an application form available at your SA office. You also pay a family coverage fee.

  • All family add-on forms and applicable fees must be received by the applicable deadline. See the website for details.
  • Your family can only be covered while you are a student on the plan.
  • Your optional family add-on is not automatically renewed. You must purchase the coverage each benefit year before the deadline.
  • Family add-on fees are non-refundable.

Spouse means the person who is a resident of Canada and who is married to the student, or a person of either sex who has continuously co-habitated with the student for a period of at least one year and who is publicly represented as the student's husband or wife.

Dependent means an unmarried child who is resident of Canada, and entirely dependent on the student for maintenance and support, and who is:
• under 21 years of age
• under 25 years of age and attending a college or university
• physically or mentally incapable of self-support and became incapable to that extent while entirely dependent on the student for maintenance and support while eligible under either of the above age criteria
How do I make a claim?
Make a claim online:
How do I opt out of the plan?
There's an early opt out date in August. This means you won't be charged the mandatory fee. Go to to opt out of the plan.

If you miss this early opt out deadline, you fill out the same form, but you will be charged the mandatory fee and will receive a refund.

The final deadline for opting out is in late September.

Check the website for the deadlines.
Bookmark and Share

Last updated on