Fire & Emergency Services Job Postings
Note Lakeland College is not responsible for verifying all information provided by employers. The onus is on a student to check out each opportunity thoroughly before agreeing to the work or signing contracts of employment.
Want to check out an employer's reputation? Go to our online employment resources page, check the last drop down for research companies and use the links.
|Manitoba Wildfire Program (Initial Attack Crew Members-Fire Ranger 2) - Deadline - Feb 15/19|
The Manitoba Wildfire Program is hiring
Advertisement Number: 34487
An eligibility list will be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 6 months.
Position: Initial Attack Crew Members - Fire Ranger 2 (FR2)
Location: Various locations across Manitoba (accommodations may be provided depending on location)
Length of Employment: Seasonal Departmental positions – approximately 15 to 20 weeks depending on location (May thru September 2019)
Salary Range: $1,448.00 - $1,546.00 bi-weekly – plus remoteness allowance where applicable.
Closing Date: 4:00 pm Friday, February 15, 2019
Under the direction of a Helitac Officer, District Supervisor and/or the Crew Leader, you will be a crew member on a 4 or 5-person initial attack forest fire fighting crew. Duties include:
● Providing suppression action on forest fires utilizing helicopters, fixed wing aircraft, boats, vehicles or other ground
● Use and maintenance of forest firefighting equipment.
● Providing training and supervision for emergency fire fighters.
● Participating in employee training and development programs, and will be expected to participate in a mandatory
daily fitness program.
● Assisting with maintenance & construction projects as assigned while not engaged in fire suppression.
● Conducting work activities in accordance with Workplace Safety and Health Act and Regulations.
● Experience in outdoor work involving manual labour.
● Experience in the use of small engine equipment, camping gear, and power tools.
● Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills.
● Training and/or experience in wildfire suppression.
● Knowledge of wildfire behaviour and fire weather.
● Experience flying in small fixed-wing aircraft and/or helicopters.
Conditions of Employment:
● Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
● Will be required to possess and maintain a valid full stage Manitoba Class 5 driver’s licence or equivalent (an Intermediate stage Manitoba Class 5 driver’s licence is acceptable on a temporary basis. Candidates are expected to attain and maintain a full stage Class 5 driver’s licence on a permanent basis.)
● Will be required to possess and maintain current certification in First Aid and CPR.
● Must be physically capable to perform the duties required of the position such as operation of chainsaws, carrying firefighting equipment, and working in adverse weather conditions.
● Will be required to successfully pass the Canadian Physical Performance Exchange Standard for Type 1 Wildland Fire Fighters (WFX-FIT) fitness test.
● Must be willing and able to work weekends, overtime, and be deployed provincially, inter-provincially, or internationally as/when required.
An application package can be obtained at Manitoba Sustainable Development district offices, or downloaded and printed from the link:
Applicants are required to submit the following with their covering letter and resume:
● An Application Coversheet, an Employment Related Reference Consent Form, and if applicable, an Employment Equity Declaration Form. These forms are available in the application package noted above.
● Three (3) References (minimum of one (1) work reference).
● Proof of their driver’s licence. Copies of the licence should be clear, legible, valid and current, and is required in order to progress to the next stage of the recruitment process.
Your covering letter and resume must clearly state how you meet each of the above qualifications.
Incomplete or illegible applications will not receive consideration.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection. Applicants are requested to indicate in their covering letter or resume if they are from any of the following groups: women, Aboriginal people, visible minorities and persons with a disability.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further considerations will be contacted.
Apply in writing to:
Manitoba Provincial IA Competition # 34487
Manitoba Wildfire Program – Sustainable Development
Box 2550 – 3rd St. & Ross Ave.
The Pas, MB R9A 1M4
Fax (204) 623-4208– Attention: Lawrence Huculak or Email: Lawrence.Huculak@gov.mb.ca
Please insert the advertisement number and position title into the subject line of your email.