Making your classroom accessible
There are many ways to make the curriculum accessible to all students including those with disabilities.
Accessibility Services is here to help faculty as well as students.
A broad overview of disabilities, is available in the free, 11-module Supporting Students with Disabilities course
and resources site.
There are some general strategies that will help students with disabilities who are in your classes. Some of these strategies are easier to do with technology such as Desire2Learn.
In addition, many strategies are just as useful for the whole class. As an instructor, you should:
- Use a variety of instructional strategies to reinforce course concepts
- Provide outlines on organizational structure for class lectures
- Use demonstrations, visual aids, and concrete examples to reinforce course material
- Introduce key vocabulary and concepts before each unit
- Allow for questions before beginning assignments or tasks
- Provide access to lecture notes or PowerPoint slides
- Provide a study guide or outline for quizzes, tests, and exams