Welcome to Canada in words and flag as background

Work & Immigration

Where we are located is an advantage when it comes to immigration and work opportunities.

Alberta, although very dependent on natural resources, has had one of Canada's strongest economies, as does Saskatchewan. Lakeland College's Lloydminster campus is located in this border city that straddles the Alberta and Saskatchewan border. This means that you could access either province's immigration programs. Check them out:
The Canadian government periodically updates its rules related to study permits and work. The newest rules became effective in June 2014 and are explained in the first drop down below.

Immediate student work opportunities for international students arrow View
The new rules make it easier for anyone with a study permit to work on campus, off campus or if their program has a practicum or internship component.

On campus jobs
  • you may work on campus if you are a full-time student with a study permit
  • as soon as your classes are over, you may no longer work using your study permit and must get a work permit
Off campus jobs
  • if you are a full-time student you qualify to work up to 20 hours per week off campus and full-time during scheduled breaks such as spring break, winter holidays and summer holidays.
In both cases, you will need to apply for a Canadian Social Insurance Number (SIN). As well, as soon as you study permit is over, you must stop work.

Coop, practicum and intern positions
If your program requires a practicum, coop placements or internship, you will need to also apply for a work permit.

For more information on working while you study, go to Immigration Canada's work while you study page.

Post-graduation work permit arrow View
The post-graduation work permit allows international students to get Canadian work experience, and even helps them to qualify for permanent residence through the Canadian Experience Class.

You can learn more about immigrations you can apply for by using the Come To Canada tool.
arrow View
Lakeland College is an bi-provincial institution. Graduates may be eligible for to work in Canada after graduation with a Post-Graduate Work Permit

In addition, there may be future immigration opportunities through either  Alberta's Immigrant Nominee Program  or  theSaskatchewan Immigration Nominee Program.

Take the time to

red plan ahead sign with blue sky background

You need to apply for your study permit at least 4 to 6 months before classes start. You need to be accepted at Lakeland before you apply for the study permit. Planning ahead is the key to success.

Learn More