Both Lakeland College communities have excellent health care facilities and services.

This includes the Lloydminster Hospital and the Vermilion Health Care Centre.

There are doctors, nurse practioners, dentists, physiotherapists, massage therapist, chiropractors, optometrists, mental health services, addiction services and community health facilities.

See a listing of City of Lloydminster health services and the Town of Vermilion community directory (health services start on page 17).

Health Care For International Students

Both Alberta and Saskatchewan, the provinces where Lakeland College is located, allow international students to apply for health care coverage under certain conditions. Check all the details in the drop downs below.

In Alberta arrow View
You may apply for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage:

  • if you have a study permit valid for more than 3 months but less than 12 months, you may be eligible if you apply and include a letter confirming you plan to live in Alberta for at least 12 months.
  • if you have a 12 month study permit for an Alberta educational institute and will live in Alberta for 12 months or more
If you apply within the first 3 months you came to Alberta, the health care coverage is effective on your date of entry or the date of the signed study permit, whichever is later.

AHCIP applications are available online and also at registry agent offices including ones in Vermilion (4919 50 Ave) and Lloydminster (WH Wilson Registries at 1202 50 Ave).

You may return your completed application with supporting documents to the registry office or mail to Alberta Health. Processing time is up to 5 days from a registry office and up to 6 weeks when mailed.

Supporting documents include: 
  1. A document showing your name and current Alberta address
  2. Government issued photo identification. Your passport is acceptable.
  3. Legal entitlement to be in Canada. You entry document, visa or permit.

Check the AHCIP website for more information about healthcare for temporary residents

In Saskatchewan arrow View
If you are an international student temporarily residing in Saskatchewan to further your education, you may be eligible for Saskatchewan health coverage. 
  • You must apply for a Saskatchewan health services card.
  • You must provide proof of full-time enrollment at an accredited educational institute and a valid Study Permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. 

To begin your application, see I want to apply for a health services card. 

You can apply online or do a paper application. Go to Saskatchewan health care application and you can choose which path you want to take.

1. Both applications start with determining if you are eligible and send you to a health benefits eligibility page

2. Check out the necessary supporting documents you will need. These are the 3 types of documents you will need.

Accidental/ Emergency Insurance arrow View
Your Lakeland College fees include mandatory Guardme health care coverage. 

The fee for 2014-2015 was $550. Coverage ran from September 1, 2014 to August 31, 2015. This coverage goes beyond the academic year. 

For more details about what is covered, please go to

Speak, Read, Write

All of our programs are taught in English. You will need to understand English and be understood when you speak and write English.

Learn More