New off-campus & online power engineering, oil & gas training courses announced
From off-site to online, people interested in oil and gas courses and power engineering training have more options than ever before at Lakeland College. Existing Lakeland programming has been combined to create the introduction to heavy oil and gas program. This 21-week program will be delivered at the Onion Lake Cree Nation from March 5 to July 27.
Part A of fourth class power engineering is also being offered online starting March 3 and also in development is second class power engineering programming.
Lakeland receives over $1.4 million for biochar project
Lakeland College received $900,000 of federal funding to acquire two mobile pyrolysis units to test, evaluate and demonstrate biochar products for the agricultural and environmental marketplace. Additional support towards this project includes a contribution of $450,000 from Alberta Innovates Technology Futures (AITF).
And more headlines in this issue ...
From Glenn's desk
- Finalizing budgets, multi-college software collaborations, visits with ministry folks, exploring options for dual credit opportunities, and continuing talks with Onion Lake Cree Nation on our joint aboriginal student residence project. Find out what's been filling Lakeland President Glenn Charlesworth's schedule. Read more
Vote to name Lakeland's centennial wine
- From the over 50 names submitted, here are the four finalists for the "name Lakeland College's centennial wine" contest. Vote for your favourite before Friday, March 9 by emailing Randy Fines
. Choices are:
1. Ever2Excel (red & white)
2. Rowdy by Day (white) and Rowdy by Night (red)
3. Vintage LC11/17 (red & white)
4. 10 Decades (red & white)
Wired to teach and use of humour keeps it light -
Meet electrical instructor Ivan Cusack who was nominated this year for a top apprenticeship instructor award. Read more
Allen laces his shoes for Rick Hansen Anniversary Relay -
More than 30 years after coaching Rick Hansen on the national wheelchair basketball team, Phil Allen, Lakeland's vice-president of advancement, has been asked to participate in The Rick Hansen 25th Anniversary Relay. Read more.
A climb to the top -
Mark Butler, director of international & distance learning, took care of one item on his bucket list in January when he trekked to the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa. Read more
Hot off the press
- The latest issue of the Lakeland XL magazine for alumni and friends of the college is filling mailboxes this week. Featured in the Winter 2012 issue are alumni Devin Selte '99, Amanda Amundrud '00, and Bill Robinson '58, as well as more news, events and class notes. It is also available online. Click here
Staff, student & celebrity hockey events promise fun and entertainment galore
- Lakeland staff and students will be strapping on their jock straps for two fun, exciting events this month. The annual Challenge Cup hockey game between Lakeland students and staff is Monday, March 12
at the Vermilion Stadium, and the Green Cup
street hockey celebrity game between Lakeland staff and The Goat 106.1 FM faces off Friday, March 23
at the Vermilion campus tennis courts. Game on!
Through the lens
- For a glimpse of a few recent Lakeland moments and events, check out the Lakeland Link Photo Gallery