Lakeland College receives $948,450 for petroleum initiatives
Lakeland, industry and students in Lakeland College's energy and petroleum programs will be the true beneficiaries of recent funding received from the federal government to the tune of $948,450. A federal investment of $948,450 through Western Economic Diversification Canada was announced March 14 at the Lloydminster campus. The funding will enable Lakeland to acquire specialized simulators and equipment for its heavy oil operations technician and heavy oil power engineer programs.
Lakeland celebrates student success at campus awards ceremonies
With this year's awards program of almost $1 million, there was much to celebrate at Lakeland College Donors & Award Recipients Celebrations held at the Lloydminster campus on March 13 and at the Vermilion campus on March 20. This year, a total of $845,559 in awards and scholarships were distributed to 807 recipients at the ceremonies. In addition, $33,540 in bursaries was awarded to 72 high financial need students in January and $85,740 in Saskatchewan Advantage Scholarships was presented to 171 students earlier in the academic year.
And more headlines ...
From Glenn's desk -
It's been a busy couple weeks at Lakeland with several special events and guests on campus. Read more.
Vermilion Agricultural Society tops up endowment fund
- Lakeland College’s long-time neighbour has donated $20,000 to the college’s Centennial Campaign. The Vermilion Agricultural Society, lessee of land flanking the northeast side of the Vermilion campus, recently presented the money to the college. The money will go into the endowment fund the organization established in 1998 for student awards and bursaries. Read more
Lloydminster CDC receives accreditation -
After a year-long process that included a self-study review of the program, the development of a Quality Enhancement Plan, parent and children interviews, and a site visit, the Lakeland College Child Development Centre (CDC) at the Lloydminster campus has received accreditation from the Alberta Association for the Accreditation of Early Learning and Care Services (AELCS). Read more
Women futsal team wins gold despite sidelined star player
- With ACAC Futsal Player of the Year Tessa Lay forced to the sidelines due to injury, the Lakeland College Rustlers entered the ACAC women’s futsal championship final knowing they’d have to raise their competition level to win gold. That’s exactly what they did as they defeated Medicine Hat Rattlers 3-2 to win the championship. Read more
Lakeland curlers do well at nationals -
For the first time in the history of Lakeland College competing in Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference curling, both the men’s and women’s teams qualified for the Canadian Colleges Athletic Association championship. They competed on the weekend. How did the do? Read more.
100 years in the making
- Centennial sponsor, the Lloydminster Source, has been doing a monthly series about our history. Articles from 100 Years of Educational Excellence series is featured on the centennial site. Check out the stories. Click here
Notes from the nurse
- March is Nutrition month. Ramp up your lifestyle and your nutritional habits by making some simple changes to your diet. Learn more
Through the lens
- For a glimpse at life at Lakeland College from March 11 to 25, check out the Lakeland Link Photo Gallery. View here