Fire & Emergency Services
Emergency Services Technology (EST) - Requirements
Admission Requirements effective for 2020
- Minimum age 18
- A high school diploma with a minimum of 50% in:
- English 30-1 or English 30-2
- Math 20-3
- One grade 12 science, Biology 30 is preferred
- Proof of an Alberta Class 5 or equivalent driver’s license and airbrake endorsement. If you have a graduated driver’s license (GDL), you may apply to the program, but you must have your unrestricted Class 5 license, with airbrake endorsement to be accepted to the program.
- Completed medical release form (pdf)
- Completed EST Program Checklist (pdf)
Proof of Standard First Aid and CPR-C certification (valid to February 2022), or an EMR course*
|Immunization & Vaccinations:
||Immunization & Vaccinations:
|*EMR is not required for the fire specialization, though it is strongly recommended. Having it may allow more options for employment as well as the flexibility to reconsider the medical specialization (if space permits).
|If you have any program questions, contact your enrolment specialist.|
- You must have computer skills including word processing, preparing spreadsheets and researching online.
- If you don't have the academic requirements, you may qualify for special student status (entrance screening). However, fire departments may require you to have a high school diploma.
- a clear criminal record check will be required for your practicum placement. Contact your local RCMP detachment for cost and procedure.
- a driver's abstract may also be required.