Trades & Technology Apprenticeship
Welder - Requirements
Admission RequirementsRecommended path
Alberta High School Diploma with:
- English 30-2
- Math 30-3
- Physics 30 or Chemistry 30 or Science 30
- Related Career and Technology Studies courses
Minimum requirement is successful completion of 1 of the following:
- English 10-2 & Math 10-3
- A passing mark in all 5 Canadian General Educational Developmental (GED) tests
- Entrance Exam
Apprenticeship also requires:
- You must find suitable employment with an employer who is a journeyman or employs a journeyman in the trade of your choice.
- Once employed, you and your employer must sign apprenticeship application forms. These forms are available from the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT) regional offices.
- If you think you have related work experience and/or training which could be credited toward your apprenticeship, discuss it with your employer and request credit on the application form.
- Once your apprenticeship application is approved and your school transcripts or entrance exam marks are recorded, final approval is given and contracts are drawn up.
Graduation RequirementsAn Alberta Journeyman Certificate is granted to apprentices who:
- Complete the required hours of on-the-job training and receives a satisfactory report from the supervisor
- Successfully complete the formal instruction
- Passes all required examinations
- Has forwarded his/her record book to the Career Development Centre, AIT for completion
When apprentices receive an Alberta Journeyman Certificate, they can use the term certified with the name of the trade. They should also be paid journeyman wages.<