What you should know - information for prospective international students
Plan AheadCongratulations, you've decided you want to come to Lakeland College.
- Saving money to travel and pay your tuition. Immigration Canada will also require proof you have enough money for your study and living expenses.
- Assessing your academic qualifications may require referral to an agency. Current processing time by International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) is 4 months.
- Your study permit/student visa may take several weeks to be processed. Check the study permit application processing time for your country. For example, times have varied from 2 to 31 weeks.
Before you apply
- If you haven't made the decision to come to Lakeland College yet, then go to our Why Choose Lakeland section to learn about the benefits and advantages of studying at Lakeland.
- Understand where we are located in Canada. Lloydminster is over 3,200 km from Toronto and about 1,500 km from Vancouver.
- Take a look at the costs--travel, tuition, living costs. Can you afford to study abroad? Make a budget and check the value of Canadian currency against your own.
- Choose a program. Check out all the programs open to international students.
- Check the academic requirements of your program.
- Do you speak, write and read English well enough to be a student in Canada? Check English language requirements.
- Do you have a credit card so you can pay the application fee when you apply online?
Academics are just one part of our admission requirements. Check out the details.
English language requirements
You need to speak, read, write and understand English. Check out the levels required for you to be successful here.
Before you apply for a particular program, you need to know what to apply for and have a credit card in your hand.
Visas & permits
Before you can apply for a study permit, you have to be accepted at Lakeland and have paid a tuition deposit. You also have to have a passport. Check out the tips for getting through the visa process faster.
Using an agent
While we recommend you go through all the steps yourself, we understand the process can be overwhelming. We currently have registered agents in Africa, Asia and Central America.
Travel to Canada
Unless you live in a northwest US border state, flying is probably your only option. We also recommend you fly to Lloydminster (via Calgary).
Climate, culture & clothing
We have winter and it affects what you need to wear and even our Canadian Prairie culture.
Before you leave home checklist
There are documents to send, documents you should copy and leave a set at home, and documents you need to bring with you.