EAS 100 lectures and exams will be delivered online.
Labs will be divided between on campus and remote locations (your home).
You must be fully equipped before you carry out a remote learning activity. This also includes health guidelines and lab safety at home. Health and safety take priority over learning objectives.
You should know:
- Lab 3 field work is cancelled this year, unless the distancing requirements are lifted by fall.
- You will have access to college supplied lab items that you will need to return
- You will also need to put together your own supplies at home
Supplies you need
- laptop (we use Windows10, Office365), internet browser (Firefox or Chrome), ethernet connection (or Wi-Fi), cellphone; internet (or use WiFi on campus), pens, pencils, lined and printing paper, reuseable face covering, goggles or safety glasses
- geometry set with 1 protractor, 1 circle compass, soft eraser; 1 ruler (30cm), 4 color pen (black, blue, red, green) and scientific calculator
- textbooks as listed along with worksheets
- for field lab only outdoor clothing: long pants, rain jacket, sweater, toque, mittens, closed running, shoes, sunscreen, clipboard and pencil, worksheets
Supplied from Lakeland College
These supplies must be returned to the college after your lab.
- mineral test kit: steel nail, copper chip, porcelain streak plate, glass plate, lens, magnet, white vinegar (replaces 1% diluted HCl) in a 10ml dropper squeeze bottle and nitrile gloves.
- mineral study kit: quartz7, K-feldspar6, pyrite, magnetite, hematite, talc1, calcite3, galena, kaolinite, biotite, muscovite, augite, gypsum2, fluorite4, apatite5, beryl8 and corundum9 (# for hardness).
- rock study kit: granite, rhyolite, gabbro, basalt, peridotite, pumice, obsidian; shale, conglomerate, sandstone, limestone, coal; slate, schist, gneiss, quartzite, marble, (3 main rock types)
- solar input simulation kit: desk lamp with incandescent bulb (40W), 1 long thermometer, stopwatch (on cellphone), black and white construction paper sleeves, 5 clear plastic cups, 1 white and 3 black covered, sand, water, a coat hanger (wire)stand. Required only if this lab is remote